KALASHNIKOVS & A FORGOTTEN SONG

mari11

Odd facts.  Just before I took this photo 11 people exited this caravan. Only one struggled fitting through the door.

Recently I’ve mentioned how a mate of mine constantly gets the wrong handle on life. This week he went epic in terms of getting the wrong end of that stick of life. He doesn’t really follow the news but somewhere in his grey matter a news related question formed. He says, “How come Americans all carry guns?”  Right from the start of our conversation I sensed it could all go wrong. I say, “I don’t think they all have guns, it’s more like if they want one they go to the shop and buy one.” He says, “Is that legal?” I say, “Yes. They have a constitution giving all Americans the right to bear arms – it’s called The Second Amendment, but you don’t really need to know that last bit.” This is where my fears of it all going wrong kicks in; this is true. After a deep thinking pause, he says, “What have ‘bare’ – note the spelling mistake cemented in his brain – arms got to do with guns? Even here in England anyone can go and buy a sleeveless vest. What’s the big deal?” I was going to point out his mental spelling mistake but thought if I got into ‘bears’ he’ll get straight onto furry animals carrying Kalashnikovs. I just changed the subject; moved on.

It’s funny how a style of writing evolves. This is an angst type lyric in its raw form I wrote for a song back in 2012. Odd.

DUMBSTRUCK

I’ve got a new song spinning in my head

A melancholy ring

I know you’ll never listen out

For the words this singer sings

I don’t believe in miracles

You don’t believe in luck

Will stage fright grab a hold on you?

Leaving you dumbstruck

Yesterday, tomorrow

Lost and born again

Yesterday, tomorrow

Just another tired refrain

I’m talking to deaf ears I know

A one-way conversation

The words I say pass over you

You don’t need letters or translations

You never were an angel

You’re more an eagle than a dove

But I thought you’d maybe need to know

Because of you I’ve given up on love

Yesterday, tomorrow

Lost and born again

Yesterday, tomorrow

Just another tired refrain

Time for some music. A piano piece from my Rainbows End album. It’s called ‘Castaway’. I hope you like;

One from a top class act, Radiohead and the song ‘No Surprises’;

Apart from Radiohead – Copyright © 2012 Zoolon Audio.  All rights reserved.  Unauthorized copying, reproduction, hiring, lending, public performance and broadcasting prohibited.

Comments

26 comments on “KALASHNIKOVS & A FORGOTTEN SONG”
  1. Lana says:

Hehe!

2. That is so funny. I know it’s not but it is . Your mate is a belter x

If I had the skills I’d be his manager. He makes Karl Pilkington look an intellectual genius.

3. sdtp33 says:

Karl Pilkington, exactly!

Thank you for the read.

4. Silent Hour says:

Your posts are such fun! I always enjoy reading you.

Thank you, Silent. You wouldn’t say my mate is fun if you met him. So far, he hasn’t worked out I’m writing down all his off the wall sayings and thoughts. If he does I’ll have no material to write about. Enjoy the rest of your day and beyond.

1. Silent Hour says:

Never tell him that he’s becoming famous behind his back. Have a great day and night too.

5. vivachange77 says:

Funny twist to your mate’s words. I like your lyrics. 🙂

He’s a gift really. I’ve been so busy lately that getting a blog posts couldn’t have happened without him. The plus is, I was talking to him earlier today and he’s done it again. More material than I could ever have hoped for. Thanks for reading.

6. Hi George. Truly, thank goodness for those that see the world just a little bit different, whether they provide a bit of humor or inspiration, it can be a well received break from the world worn attitudes of today. ‘Dumbstruck’ at first doesn’t seem as dark as it really is with, “I’ve got a new song spinning in my head/A melancholy ring” but with lines like the following,

“But I thought you’d maybe need to know
    Because of you I’ve given up on love”

It reveals a much more powerful and serious message. Does the lyric have a melody? I guess I should ask, have you’ve recorded this? Please enjoy the rest of your weekend. ~ Mia & Lo

Thanks, Mia. He’s gone and done it again earlier this afternoon. More nutter-based material to write up soon.
      The song was originally called ‘Yesterday, Tomorrow’. It was a song. It had a melody. Recorded it, but it never felt right. It was 6 minutes of angst type boring grief long with lots of insults that weren’t metaphors. Now I’ve got the original few words back and I am on a roll generally – hope it lasts – it’s next in line. ‘Maybe ‘need’ to know’ is new; originally it was, ‘Maybe ‘want’ to know’. I’m not sure why the change.
      I hope all is OK and enjoy your weekend.
      JGC aka Zoolon aka George

1. You’re welcome, JGC. How wonderful, more fabulous material! It makes for a good read and challenges word usage skills in a good way.

I like your original title, ‘Yesterday, Tomorrow’ it makes me think about time and the wind, also wondering why I just flashed on Simon and Garfunkel and not The Beatles, odd. I’m glad it made it to your list!

The ‘not sure why’ is a fascination, fun to see where it leads you. Enjoy the process.

Thank you, all is nearing OK, it’s becoming ‘the same as it ever was’ in the ‘Land of Everwas’. =>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwIGtGdY5OY

Please have a productive and creative Sunday! ~ PM

‘The Same As It Ever Was’ would make a brilliant song/album title, especially if ‘It’s becoming…’ could find a place in a verse. The YouTube link comes up blank. I’ll search it out anyway. Have a great day, PM. Regards, JGC (the first time I typed that it came out as JCB but that’s a tractor). Odd.

3. Talking Heads, “Once in a Lifetime”. Thank you, hope you’re having a great day too.

Talking Heads got there first! Back to the drawing board. If a depressing song was ever brilliant, this is the song.

7. As an American, I should add that you don’t have to have sleeves to purchase fire-arms. That said, your piano’s got a beautiful bittersweetness here. Love the pauses to add tension for a lonely song. x

Thanks. Does it help if you do have sleeves?

1. Hmmm. You know, maybe it does, depending on the state…

8. M.Winter says:

I think the sleeves will be in the way. You know, can’t really have a good swing!

9. Imelda says:

Ah, you’re friend is funny. 😁

Thanks, Imelda (lovely name by the way). My mate is a certified lunatic. He wouldn’t have it any other way.

1. Imelda says:

What would life be like without that crazy friend? 🙂 Oh, thanks for the compliment on the name, too.

10. Good blog. 🙂