WHEN A POEM BECOMES A SONG

george 4 (2)

I trade both online and offline as Zoolon Hub. I’ve recently added another new product to my business aimed mainly at others in the music industry. However, I thought some of you poets or lyricists out there might (or might not) also be interested in the product – especially so if you are not a musician.

Perhaps I should explain. This new product is one whereby I can put your work to music in a variety of very affordable ways.

Simply email me on zoolonaudio@gmail.com with your words and ideas and I will compose anything from a melody for you to take away and add the voice yourself or if you want, I’ll turn it into a complete mixed and mastered song – and all stations in between. Basically, you tell me what you want and I’ll produce it for you, the bonus being if you’re not happy with the basic, initial melody there is nothing to pay. If you are happy and want me to progress with the project then you will find my charges very reasonable and importantly, your poem/lyric aside, the rest will be entirely down to me. No composer, musicians or vocalist hire, studio hire, production, mixing and mastering or other third-party charges involved as I do all the work myself. Because of this, my charges are a tiny fraction of what otherwise would be the case.

An example of my work? Here’s a song from my album, ‘Dream Rescuer’. The lyric I worked with is from a poem, ‘Sunlight & The Dust’ by Mike Steeden.

It might help to explain a little about my pedigree insofar as music is concerned. I have a BA (Hons) First Class Degree (1st) in Creative Music Technology; a complete working knowledge of various music software such as MAX/MSP, Logic, Reason, Bitwig, Ableton Live etc.; I play a number of different instruments, have established skills in terms of the production of Sound Art, the composition of lyrics and melody, plus the mixing and mastering of music.

Regular songs aside, here’s a few examples from YouTube of some of the things I play around with.

If you’ve got this far down the page you may be wondering about the dreaded ‘royalty’ aspect. In this regard, and at no charge beyond the initial agreed fee it is simply a subject open to negotiation. If say, you send me your own melody in a ‘dum-dee-dum’ type self-recorded format and I simply put it to guitar then what you get back is an entirely royalty free piece of music that belongs to you.

Generally, if you go for the whole shebang – as in me creating a complete song from your poem/lyric –  and decide to market it, and (if only!) it goes on to make a bucket full of money then any royalties over and above your marketing and other reasonable costs would be shared 50/50 and an agreement in place covering that. With a complete song, or any melody for that matter, it is important for you to understand that I would undertake never to use the melody or the song I have produced for you ever again, anywhere, anytime, anyplace unless you’ve specifically asked me to do so.

Lastly, sometimes (rarely) it may be the case that I feel a specific poem is not one I can work with and do you proud. If that is the case I’d let you know at the outset.

Comments

101 comments on “WHEN A POEM BECOMES A SONG”

Oh wow , this is awesome.

Thank you, Lady Yasmin.

Welcome, Lord Zoolon. Good luck with the new venture.

2. Great words my friend

3. A win win I love this idea.

Thank you. It is one of those thinking sideways ideas that hit me when designing the project for musicians. Why I suddenly had the random thought ‘poets’ I’ll never know but I’m here if anyone wants me.

4. Timothy Price says:

This is a fantastic idea. I may send you some lyrics and see what you can do with them. Melodies take a detour around my brain, and I can’t sing worth a hoot (even owls frown on my hooting), but I can get the words into cyberspace, and at times some of those words seem to resemble something like lyrics.

Thanks for the comment, Tim. Give it some thought and if you still fancy the idea I’m ready, willing and able. Even if your melody is recorded to loads of dum-dee-dum’s or la, la, la’s I can work with it. I’ll leave it with you and thanks again.

5. George, we (the gang) are wishing you much success with the new product. I agree with Tim, this is a fantastic idea. ~ Mia, RE & C

Thank you, Mia. Collaboration with a poet seems a good creative route to take. A good fit for both.

1. You’re welcome, George.

2. aruna3 says:

U r right ,dear mia !!

6. Sounds interesting…do you do punk/metal?

For the genre, most certainly save for the voice. It’s the voice I like most, yet the voice I don’t own.

1. I see. But still, you could write the song, correct?

In my private moments – basically when I’m not doing boring work – I live, dream and compose metal. Tons of it. I just can’t do the vocal.

3. I’m actually having a problem coming up with metal lyrics. I’ve been working on some music but metal lyrics tend to be more serious and my stuff is always silly and funny. Anyway, I probably have lyrics you can use. Where would i send them to?

I’ll happily have a go and I’ll do a good job but this proposal is basically for poets who can’t play/compose music and I have to charge for my time. That doesn’t seem fair as you have all the skills to do this yourself. I’m posting some words I’ve composed a WIP song type post tomorrow that would fit the metal genre I think. So far I’ve gone electronic with it, but you never know.

7. aruna3 says:

Wonderful music as life is saying its own story as song.

Thank you, Aruna3. Such a great name. Where does ‘3’ come from?

1. aruna3 says:

I think-no 3 is lucky for me.my full name is aruna sharma.

A lucky number. That’s interesting. I’ve not got one of those.

3. aruna3 says:

What is your birthday date?after then i will tell you your lucky number.

6th July.

5. aruna3 says:

Ur luky no is 4.

Odd. That’s my phobia number. I have do do things 4 times in a row for good luck.

7. aruna3 says:

Yeah.u have see.i have tell u ur right lucky no.so your album”dream rescuer”is successful.now you will go ahead n successe to achieve ur goal.

Very clever, Aruna

9. aruna3 says:

Why am i clever?as my heart says-i tell u.plz don’t mind.perhaps lucky no is as a rod of blind.dt rod tuch right point then all are right n no touch then these r fake.

10. aruna3 says:

Ur band group will be of four members.am i right?

I don’t have a band. I was once in a band of 4 people but didn’t like all the politics.

12. aruna3 says:

Yeah.members’s politics.u should begin any album on ur wished level.dt will be good for you.u all r too have four friends.u can take thier corporationns.

13. aruna3 says:

Hey zoolon!!lucky no is only d prop n belonged from astrology.i believe in it.

14. aruna3 says:

Because nobody tell right about astrology besides only it’s experts.in ur UK,do people in dis subject.

8. aruna3 says:

Music of Requim for a ghost is seem as wandering alone soul in forest of d world.amazing zoolon.u r a gifted musician.i have no special poem for becoming a song.plz see my blog-if u find some speciality in them then u can composed them by some improving.

I don’t believe in ghosts, although in my mind I see them, as you do as things that wonder alone.

1. aruna3 says:

Yeah.u r true.i think d soul, about them ,some peoples think as ghost.i too don’t believe in concept of ghost but souls are true and parts of God.do u agree with me.? In your music,i have taken d meaning of ghost as soul.i feel myself as alone soul who is in search of ?*-about of ,still now ,i don’t know.

I guess we are all searching for something that’s not material.

3. aruna3 says:

Yeah.you are absolutely right,zoolon!!

9. That’s an excellent idea!

I like the idea and he challenge it represents.

1. You might have to be flexible and try a lot of different genres. Sound both challenging and fun, actually.

So long as it’s not Country & Western or singing heavy metal – I can play it OK – then , well maybe not opera, I’m good. (good as in I can do it, rather than ‘good’, I’m boasting).

3. Those are some of my favorite genres! XD Guess I’ll have to write my own country song…

Metal I love. I’d play it all day given half a chance. It’s just that lead vocal in a metal band is a thing I have to admit I haven’t got the voice for. C&W simply doesn’t do it for me.

10. Great idea Zoolon! I’m sure you will have many poets and lyricist sending requests. Good luck with your venture!!

Thank you, E. This addition to the business is working generally yet the challenge of working with a poem that are not my own words is interesting to say the least.

1. You’re an artist and I’m sure you’ll pull it together fabulously! 🙂

Thank you for the comment. I appreciate it that you read this post.

11. Ward Clever says:

Wow, I have five or six sets of lyrics with melodies and songs in mind that I’ve never managed to record, and this might work for me. Hmmmmmmmm

Thank you for reading. I’m here if you ever want to take the project further.

12. Anne Clare says:

What a great idea! Composition is no mean feat (the mathematics required alone always gave me headaches :p). Here’s hoping you get to share your talents with many a poet!

13. Thanks will #repost on @promostking

14. Imelda says:

Neat!

15. Savvy Raj says:

Co creation in collaboration is a beautiful gesture. I deeply appreciate this idea. Wishing you the best in this creative endeavour.😊

Thank you, Savvy.

16. Beautiful music. I can see that there might be many poets interested in having their words put to original music. 🙂

Thanks for that, and thanks for reading the post.

Great idea! Is that your new haircut?!! I love the guitar sample play (1) video and am listening to it again now 😀

Sadly that’s not the new haircut. Strictly no photos of that! That one is from about 18 months back somewhere in France. I’m glad you like the video. I made it up on the go the day I got my GoPro.

18. Vivian Zems says:

This is so cool. It’s great to put your talent to such use. Now remind me- will you use your voice as well? I have a poem- just wondered what it would be like as a song.

Thank you, Vivian. I do the whole project from start to finish including the singing, the composition, all the instruments, the composition of the melody, the production, the mixing and the mastering myself. Please don’t think of me as someone who boasts. I’m not like that, it’s just that I can do these things. If it helps, here’s another example of my voice – a song I composed a couple of years back;

1. Vivian Zems says:

Good work. I’ll be in touch 🙂

19. Vivian Zems says:

By the way, I didn’t see the sample from Mike Steedmans poem. Would you be able to send me the link please?

If you open up this post, under my album ‘Dream Rescuer’ just hit play and Sunlight & The Dust plays. Also, via the link below you get the listen to the whole album (I think Bandcamp allow about 5 listens) you can listen to all the tracks without any charge. Best of luck. If you hit a problem please let me know. The title track, Dream Rescuer, seems popular with a lot of people as well – thankfully.

20. Amal says:

Second video I like more.

21. A most thorough presentation of your skills here, my friend. If I can ever complete something, I’d be happy to brainstorm up a few music-trailer type things with you… 🙂

I think it is a fantastic idea! I wish I could make up a poem 🙂
    Great photograph, by the way.

The idea is one of those things that may or may not work. I thought it a good idea as I would try my best to do any poet proud.

I think it is very cool. You should keep advertising this everywhere. I have never heard anyone make such offer.

I think it’s a unique idea. Most songwriters have an ego too large that means they want to protect rather than collaborate when working.

Ego! That’s the word. Making someone’s poem a song not only you earn some buck, but
        you make that person feel great.

I hope so!

23. aruna3 says:

Hey zoolon!! If u want to compose my post”a sparrow” on your guitar with includind the birds chirpiring,plz try to do by something improvements as you like.i think-dt song will be uniqe n wonderful.am i saying right ?please reply.

I’ve just read that poem again. As you may know from my blog I have a friend Brian the Sparrow I get to meet in the harbour cafe every so often. I like sparrows. I think that if you do anything with that wonderful poem of yours it must be through recording the audio of you/someone reading the poem aloud to the backdrop of instrumental music and yes, maybe some well chosen sound samples of sparrow song added. I think that would be a perfect way to go. To give you an idea of what I mean, take a look at this ladies blog, she is a genius at the art of audio poetry. You may have to scroll back a few pages to find an audio piece, yet it’s well worth it when you get there. https://areyouthrilled.com/

1. aruna3 says:

But dear zoolon!! I don’t know about music,using orchestra or videography n audio sytem.if u can not compose my post then left it.may be,in future i will try for that.plz give ur fully attention on ur new album.i am waiting for dt.

I must admit, Aruna the finishing off of my classical music EP is seriously hard work at the moment, plus I’m developing new products/projects for the business so my time is limited. Maybe if you get to like one of the new classical pieces you could have it running behind your words.

3. aruna3 says:

Dear zoolon!! You have to go ahead and do many practice by doing new uniqe creation.and you r in young age so it is not a big problem for a music specialist.plz do as u like.i will like ur music n song.

Thanks, Aruna. Have a listen when the project is up live. There might be something you could use for your poetry.

5. aruna3 says:

Okay, wonderful.very very thank you,dear zoolon!!

24. aruna3 says:

*including

25. it’s an great idea….hope to help u too!!!! i cold make a poem too…

Thanks, Disha.

26. C.J. Black says:

When a poem becomes a song Zoolon what a great title for either, time to put on the thinking cap? Great sounds.

Thanks for the read.

27. Oh man, I love that song, The sunlight and the dust. Keep up the good work 🙂

Thank you for listening. It all helps.

1. Yeah, I`m still listening. I think it`s an album, Dream Rescuer 🙂 . Thanks

I released my album Dream Rescuer back in April I think. I’m glad your still liking it.

28. https://lyricalviews.wordpress.com tell your quality tell your view
    And I will make lyrics on you
    Please check

29. That guitar mash is awesome!!!!!

Thanks for listening/watching. I was only mucking about with the GoPro camera at the time and thought it might be worth trying out on YouTube.

1. This ain’t JUST mucking around. This is really cool! 😎

Thanks again. I appreciate that.