TRADING INSULTS

hands3

(a statue I spotted along West Cliff, Ramsgate – for reasons unknown, it seems to fit my song posted below)

As I understand it the 38th parallel is the dividing line between North and South Korea. I think it was about 4 years ago when the North were talking about how close they were to building a missile that could take out cities on the east coast of the US. The news worried me and a lot of others at the time. It was as clear to me then as it is now that if they did that, the US would bomb them flat in retaliation, and if that happened it would be the end of the world as we know it.

Watching the news bulletins right now it seems that it wouldn’t take more than a cross word here and a funny look there for this whole bombing scenario to kick-off WW3. Worrying in the extreme.

I’m a simple pacifist, who understands just one thing. The only peaceful solution to any dispute is to be had when the two sides sit down and talk to each other. Maybe I’m naïve, but as of now that is what I believe they should be doing. Trading insults is pathetic.

I originally posted this song – one I wrote about the North Korean ‘threat’ 4 years ago – around the time I started blogging. It seems relevant again right now – perhaps more so than before. It is an experimental number that doesn’t take sides. It just focuses in a surreal way on how this thing could pan out if the relationship between nations goes pear-shaped. It’s called ‘Erasing the 38th. If you’ve not heard it before please have a listen.

If you fancy a visit, the Zoolon Audio website it is at www.zoolonaudio.com

Comments

37 comments on “TRADING INSULTS”

I so agree with you on this. Talking it out helps. I believe in live and let live.

I agree with you 100%, Lady Yasmin

2. Well Lord Zoolon, you may be worried but you wrote a fabulous song, lyrics and music-wise. Loved the pace especially and your voice is crystal clear out there in front. I take heart on this business from all the cold wars and sabre rattling I’ve lived through, prob the sad fact that one threat goes away and another comes in to take its place.

Thank you Shey. It was at uni I first wrote this. The songwriting module demanded an experimental song. On this one I got marked down because I played guitar towards the end. I thought that was experimental as I’d mixed it up with the newsreel samples – the lecturer didn’t agree.

1. Not to put too fine a point on it, your lecturer was an idiot then. Seriously.

I’m glad you said that. Samples plus traditional is experimental. The bloke had been in a top band in the 1970’s – I think he got stuck in time.

3. Well…yes… Interesting. I was saying that to Carolee Croft in a blog comment last night. Even the biggest music beasts get stuck and turn out toe-bunchers for years. Sounds like this guy got stucl

I’ve never heard of ‘toe-bunchers’ before. I like that, Shey. I could use that.

5. You are more than welcome Lord Zoloon

3. micketalbot says:

Apart from the mentally ill leader, the people of North Korea have no clue what’s going on in the world outside of their country, and what their government is up to, and how it all could end in their annihilation, plus the possibly the end of the world as we know it too. A sad, sad state of affairs!

1. micketalbot says:

PS Forgot to add, let DIPLOMACY rule!

As they say in London, ‘it’s all gone horribly wrong’.

1. micketalbot says:

Isn’t that the truth!

4. Akuokuo says:

Loooove your song!! Wow. Dreamy-nice with all the layers 🙂

Thank you. It’s a song that fitted the moment back then, fits again now – I hope it soon becomes irrelevant again.

1. Akuokuo says:

Already on the 3rd listen! Your song could be about lots of things… timeless really– in a great way 🙂

That fact you’ve listened 3 times is mind blowing. Thank you. I am releasing an ambient album sometime very soon by the way. And there is a link to Soundcloud and YouTube re my older stuff at the bottom of this post if you’re interested. It doesn’t matter if you’re not obviously. I hate it when people pressurize others. Not a good thing at all.

3. Akuokuo says:

Your work is truly wonderful!! Can’t wait for the ambient album 🙂

5. Right, and if trading insults is pathetic, how pathetic is war? It’s a lovely song…chilling.

So, so true. When all you want to do is make music in a world full of peace, the rest feel they have to make war when they’re not throwing school yard insults at each other.

1. Sticks and stones.

6. George, a haunting song and the title works in so many ways, both brilliant. In reading the thread I was disappointed, I guess the definition of experimental. lost its luster for your lecturer. ~ Mia Rocky & Rexie Raccoon

Thank you, Mia. It was a disappointment at the time he didn’t mark it top marks. In fairness he did score it top grade – he just knock it back a bit because of the guitar I threw in at the end.

7. Crafty B says:

Totally agree. It’s embarrassing to be from the US right now. Or ever! I did not vote for this lunatic. Not sure anyone did. North Korea situation has me concerned to say the least. Trip of a song, man! I shared it with a few people who I knew would like it.

He does seem to be a character from a bad nightmare. He’s real though – I’d have settled for the nightmare.

8. I don’t even watch the news anymore, it’s too depressing. I’m glad a song came out of it, though.

I think they should call it ‘sick’ news because that’s all I ever hear.

9. thank you for an amazing blog. really enjoyed reading it

Thank you for reading.

10. Reblogged this on Kate McClelland.

11. “Trading insults is pathetic”: just about all any American politician (or wannabe politician (re: the President)) has done over the past twenty years. Yeah, it’s been going for loads longer, but at least the insults were limited to television and newspapers and the occasional book. Now it’s a constant barrage, the verbal equivalent of acid rain, and just as damaging.

I think – well I know – that’s why I prefer dogs to humans.

12. rothpoetry says:

I agree with you sentiments. No one wins when folks go to war!

“Take off this mask, see how it burns” ~ Oh yes, absolutely! The lyrics on point – particularly right now with North Korea’s missile projects underway (scary). But also what you wrote in your post about talking through things to get to a resolutions is very true. If more people did this my goodness what a better world it would be for it. I also like how the track slows down into instrumental at 4:31, taking on a psychedelic sort of feel.

Not many people pick up on what this song was/is about. Even at uni when I wrote it the lecturers, although scoring it high mark, had no idea what I was trying to say – you got it in one. Thank you, Christy B.

Oh I think part of being a creative is bending the typical, showing new ways to look into light – or into the dark, as with my first book.. So glad to know you.

‘Bending the typical, showing new ways to look into light – or into the dark’. A lost art reborn, or a new found one. It doesn’t matter as long as it’s there. Glad to know you also.