THE OUTBOUND ROAD FROM HELL

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I was late to discover the word ‘scoundrel’. Don’t know why, I just was. Google says the word first appeared in the 1580’s, spelt as ‘skowndrell’ and of unknown origin.

A couple of years back when I needed just one crucial word to complete a lyric I was grateful to the posh old lady in the street who was telling a scruffy bloke off about something he’d done, or not done and yelled, ‘Scoundrel’ at him. The scruffy bloke looked like a builder if that helps.

Whatever, here is the old song in question, The Outbound Road from Hell. I’ve uploaded it from my old ‘Jorj’ SoundCloud although the newer stuff is on my main account at

Hope you like it.

If you fancy a visit the Zoolon Audio website it is at www.zoolonaudio.com

Comments

18 comments on “THE OUTBOUND ROAD FROM HELL”

I somehow like that word. It’s so loaded

It certainly is a word not used that much. I’m not sure I am a scoundrel though. Hope not.

It’s okay. Doesn’t make any difference, does it? Anyways you are not a scoundrel my fella, far from it.

I’m glad you think that Yasmin. I would hate it if lyrics became real things, apart from Red Planet, which I meant.

Oh yes.

Angelic riposte. Thank you.

2. George, love this! I don’t think I’ve ever mentioned how great your voice is, your voice is great! You’re so creative, you always get me thinking, is the hell we know better than the hell we don’t know? Oh gosh, what an uplifting question, hope you’ve been having a terrific day, wind and all. ~ Mia

What a line, ‘Is the hell we know better than the hell we don’t know’. I like it even more if treated as an observation, like you this, rather than a question. I am sure you are a philosopher. Convinced. Still so cold here by the way, so very cold.

3. The title is so intriguing. Like usually it is the road to hell. Like Copper there I have to say your voice is great. SO is this track.

Thank you. I like reversing things for lyrics. Otherwise things get too generic.

4. How long does it take you to record all the harmonies? I can’t imagine how you sketch out the layers of a single piece of language. That makes me think of building a story one letter at a time. Yowza, at least I have whole words to work with already…

How long? It varies according to my mood more than anything. Some days I can see the music and the harmonies, other days I have to look for them.

1. Such a hunt must be fascinating. And likely a little infuriating. 🙂

On a good day it’s easy thankfully.

5. Interesting that you were late to the ‘scoundrel’ party. The word is pretty much essential in historical romance 😉 I really enjoyed the song! Reminds me of something by Lou Reed with the intro, and lyrics and melody are great too.

There are many words for me to discover. Since about 14 years old I have been engrossed in music, music, music then some more music.

Never heard real people use it, but it is quite descriptive, and it has been well used in literature 🙂
    Great song, and you are very creative with your titles.

Thank you. I’ve just mixed and mastered a new version of this. More ambient, for a new album in the spring.