POOR EXCUSES (A Lyric)

DCIM100MEDIA

In this land where the sky knows mostly only how to rain,

I wondered if and when I would see the sun again,

On this planet that mostly knows only how to fight,

The clock is ticking down to toward dark midnight.

Bombs and poor excuses feed the hawk,

In return the broken innocents get sweet talk,

From the leaders in ivory towers faking distress,

The same leaders who created this evil mess.

The jazzman’s blues is worthless on deaf ears,

The poet’s words can’t take away the fears,

Graffiti artist’s paint messages from before,

The threats and promises turned into a war.

The chatter of the mindless made this mess,

They say the right words for an ever-watching press,

Pretending all along they had a moral plan,

Leading us backward to before time had began.

In this land where the sky knows mostly only how to rain,

I wondered if and when I would see the sun again,

On this planet that mostly knows only how to fight,

The clock is ticking down to toward dark midnight.

The great lyricists can write lyrics that stand alone as poetry. There aren’t that many of them. I am not one sadly. I do the best I can.

Before university putting words to melody was easy. I didn’t bother with rules. Sometimes I wrote music to a lyric, other times the opposite way around. For 18 months after leaving uni I had a complete block. No music and no words. Then I decided that to move forward I needed to go back. I don’t bother with rules anymore.

Over the last few weeks, apart from making samples for Zoolon Audio and running the business generally I have made time to write a few pieces I have already shared on the blog. Over the last few days I have been working on a new song. The melody is there, now the words have arrived.  Now, they are in verse to fit the meter. When I get to marrying the melody and the words the verse must change into a lyric. Lyrics, with the need for repetition, some lines to die at birth, a chorus to work with etc. never read that well without the melody. That’s why only great lyricists achieve lyrics that read back as great poetry.

This is a first for me. I’ve never let anyone see a WIP before.  The melody doesn’t appear with this post, just the basic verse I have written to fit the mood of the melody, before it becomes a lyric that may not look anything like this verse. Soon I will post the new song complete.

Zoolon Audio website is at www.zoolonaudio.com/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZoolonAudio

Comments

26 comments on “POOR EXCUSES (A Lyric)”
  1. M.Winter says:

I wish in our land would rain! Or snow, even!

2. I like your verse and I look forward to hearing the melody

I’m working on it right now.

I came to read this again George. It is a beautiful verse loaded with meaning. So much wisdom. I fav this.

That has made my day. Got a headache yesterday writing it. I hope the song, when finished works. Thank you.

4. Fascinating…I often think of the melody comes before the word, so it’ll be cool to see what happens next.

Thank you. I had the melody already then thought up words that more or less fitted. I’ve never shared the process of writing a song before so this is a first for me. In the studio yesterday doing the vocal it changed a lot. If I like it after the mixing I’m hoping to post it and speak about how it evolved. Fingers crossed.

1. I’ll knock on wood over here. 🙂

It really is turning out to be an evolution of a song. Many of the words have been scrapped as my guitar demanded to be let loose in the final build. I’ll have some explaining to do to readers.

3. That’s how the writing process rolls. That story I’m putting on Wattpad? That’s all first-draft stuff. Lord knows how the final draft will turn out.

What’s Wattpad?

5. It’s a free e-book platform: authors post for free, readers can read and comment for free. As a friend of mine put it, it’s “the kid’s table of publishing.”

It would be good if there was a place like that for music instead of money grabbers promising the earth when you know straight off they are cheats.

7. I thought that was the goal of Soundcloud…?

There is no interaction with Soundcloud.

9. Oh, yes, true. Feedback on there is extremely rare.

I think You Tube is a better place. It just means making video to add to the music. Everything takes up so much time. I’ve given up wearing a watch.

11. I stopped wearing watches years ago. 🙂 but yes, it does take up loads of time. Isn’t it suitable to merely have one image for the song, or is that bad? (Please pardon my ignorance on the subject.)

One image would work but I have the video skills (even won awards and top grades back in my final year at school before uni). Cartoons were the thing I enjoyed the most.

13. Goodness, you ARE a one-man show, aren’t you? 🙂 But then you have to decide just how many pieces of yourself must go into a single creation. Rather like building with Legos: there’s the bare basics, the classy, and then the total going-overboard…

I am so busy right now. Not just the watch thing. My list of things to do means my note board looks more like surreal painting than a list.

15. Ha! Talk about living your art. 😉

5. Rob says:

It is a wonderful construction

Thank you. A lot of it didn’t make the final cut to the song but I had to start somewhere. As before, best of luck.

1. Rob says:

Are you going to post the finished work?

Certainly am Rob…mixing it right now.